Sunday, January 22, 2012

Fan-fold flower (rosette) Tutorial

Hi everyone....I thought I would post a tutorial on fan fold flowers (also called rosettes). You will need a scoring board (this is not absolutely necessary but sure makes it easier), strips of pattern paper, a good strong glue (I like Tombow's Mono adhesive), a scrap of paper (I am using about a 3/4" circle here) and whatever embellishment you want to top your fan fold flower with.
I started with a one inch wide by 8.5 inches long strip of paper and I scored it every 1/4". You can also use a 12" long strip of paper but you would want to score it every 1/2".
Then I accordian folded it. If you do not have a scoring board you can just fold it yourself...just try to keep the folded sections a uniform width.
Then I glue the ends together with my Tombow Mono adhesive and let it sit for a couple of minutes.
After the ends are fully adhered to each other you push the circle down until it is laying flat. I glue a scrap of paper (in this case a circle I cut from scrap) on the back side. This helps hold the flower in shape and also helps provide a good surface when you will glue your fan fold to your project.
Then I flip it over and embellish it.
The beauty of fan folds is that they can be embellished any way and with most anything you want. Here are some fan folds I did for the current TPV challenge--I used chipboard elements from the Bella Blvd Christmas Wishes collection:
On this flower I used my Fiskars Threading Water border punch on my strip of paper before scoring it:
I hope I have challenged you to try to experiment and make your own fan fold flowers .....what kind of variations will you come up with?

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I can't make these and have them look good to save my life!! maybe using that type of adhesive will help......I will keep pluggin til I get em right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun tutorial Sandi! I think I'm convinced I need a scoring board now lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! I have been seeing them everywhere and I just recently made a smash book for a blog hop that I am in today . I think I will make some to embellish some of the pages with :) Got lots of candy up for grabs if you'd like to come over and join in on the fun. TFS,
    (:(:Smiles:):)

    Robin
    the cricut scrapper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial. Just like Suzanne, I think I need a score board also. lol. I like the idea of embellishing them different ways. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your tutorial!! I may have to try to make the flowers and see if I can play along with TPV! lol You make it look so easy! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...